I – General terms
1. The 1st “Samson François” Junior International Piano Contest will take place at the Hippodrome of Cagnes-sur-Mer on Sunday 3 July 2022.
The contest is open to young pianists from 5 to 15 years old:
Category A: 5-6 years
Category B: 7-8 years
Category C: 9-12 years
Category D: 13-15 years
The category will be determined based on the age of the contestant on 3 July 2022.
2. Registration will close on 15 June 2022 or as soon as the total number of registered contestants reaches 60. Entries received after 15 June 2022 will not be considered.
3. The contest reserves the right to cancel the 2022 edition due to sanitary conditions or governmental instructions, or in case of an insufficient number of entries. The entry fee will be refunded in these cases only.
4. The registration fee must be transferred at the time of registration via the website or by bank cheque to the order of the association “Le piano en liberté” whose located at 55 boulevard Victor Hugo, 06000 Nice (deadline for receipt: 15 June 2022).
– 30€ for categories A and B
– 50€ for categories C and D
The payment must be identified with the name of the contestant.
5. Contestants must register online before 15 June 2022 by sending the following supporting documents
– a copy of the identity card or passport
– a curriculum vitae in French or English,
– a recent artistic photo in high definition,
– proof of payment of the registration fee
Any request for a change of programme must be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (no change of programme will be accepted after 30 June 2022).
6. Contestants must come to the Hippodrome de Cagnes-sur-Mer to confirm their arrival and register their entry on Saturday 2 July from 4pm to 6pm. They will have to present an identity document: passport or national identity card. They will be given their place in the running order of the contestants.
7. Travel and accommodation expenses are at the constants’ expense.
8. Pianos for practicing will be made available to contestants at the Hippodrome. Contestants in categories A and B will be allowed to try out the contest piano on Saturday 2 July from 4pm to 6pm for 2-3 minutes each as soon as their entry is registered. Contestants in categories C and D will be allowed to try out the contest piano on Sunday 3 July from 9an to 10am and from 1pm to 2.30pm for 5 minutes each.
II – Procedure of the contest
1. The contest consists of 1 performance open to the public, which will take place on Sunday 3 July. The prize-giving ceremony will take place on the evening of 3 July 2022.
2. The jury is composed of international personages from the world of music:
Mrs Christine GASTAUD, France, president of the jury
Mrs Olga MONAKH, Ukraine / Germany
Mr Nicolas BRINGUIER, France
Ms Francesca VIDAL, Italy
Ms Marylise LANOE, France
The president of the jury has the casting vote in case of a tie. The jury’s decisions are final and binding.
3. The jury can interrupt the performance of a piece if it considers the contestant’s playing to be insufficient or if the maximum duration imposed for the round is exceeded.
4. Prizes :
The total amount of prizes in categories A, B and C is 1000€.
Category D: 1st prize: 500€.
2nd prize: 300€
3rd prize: 200€
The jury is not obliged to award all prizes, but reserves the right to award special prizes or to share the prizes.
5. Participants may request a certificate of participation in the contest.
6. The public performances of the contest may be broadcast live and/or recorded on radio, television or the internet. They may also be recorded in order to produce editions on various media (CD, DVD, etc). Given the reputation of the contest, the contestants grant it the right to record, reproduce and have their performances reproduced on any medium and to broadcast them by any means and throughout the world. This grant is valid for a period of 50 years from the date of the performance.
7. Participation in the contest implies acceptance of these terms, the French text being legally binding.
III – Programme
The programme is not given, it is recommended to include two pieces of different style and/or character. The required duration is :
Category A (5-6 years): 5 minutes maximum
Category B (7-8 years): 5 minutes maximum
Category C (9-12 years): 8 to 12 minutes maximum
Category D (13-15 years): 12 to 15 minutes maximum